How To Implement Facebook Authorship On Your Website
Facebook authorship is implement by adding a simple meta tag on your website. Facebook authorship meta tag used to display the name of author, publisher, editor or owner which is specified in authorship meta tag.
Screenshot given below explains how Facebook Authorship can help our audience to identify the name of author and his/her Facebook profile. As you can see name of owner is displayed along with page title.
This authorship feature can benefit you in many ways.
- Facebook authorship can help you to increase your profile reach so you can get in touch with many people across the world
- Facebook authorship can help you to get more clients
- Your audience will be able to contact you
How To Implement Facebook Authorship
All you have to do is to add a simple meta tag in between <head></head> tag of your website.
For doing this , simply search for “</head>” tag in HTML files of your web site and paste the simple code given below :
<meta property=”article:author” content=”https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Dinesh.Bhosale” />
If you are a WordPress user , then go to your theme editor and edit “header.php” file and add the above code in between <head></head> tag of PHP file , then click on update file button.
If you are a blogger user then you can simply edit your blogger template to include the above code in between <head></head>.
Make sure that you have replaced the content=”https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Dinesh.Bhosale” with your own profile URL, also make sure that meta tag is placed properly in between head tag.
Notice that, meta tag is added right before </head> tag.
After implementing above meta tag, we need to test whether it works or not. So in order to do that we use Facebook object debugger, also known by the name of Facebook URL debugger.
So you need to follow these simple steps :
- Open Facebook Object Debugger
- After you have opened Facebook Object Debugger, you need to tell the debugger to refetch your URL so we can see the effect of new changes that we made to source code of our site in URL debugger.
- After refetching updated site, scroll down a little bit and you will see the preview of post that users will see when they will share our URL
Make sure that you have added same meta tag across all pages of your web site so that authorship will work across all pages of your site.
According to official Facebook documentation, it can take up to 24 hours for Facebook to refetch entire website but our tests shown it can take longer than that. If you can’t wait for Facebook refetch your entire web site then you can manually tell object debugger to refetch URLs.